There are a wide variety of financial options that provide support to individuals with disabilities (federal, state and county). If you live in Washington County, the Washington County Developmental Disabilities Social Services will be your best resource. The website has detailed instructions on how to apply for services as well as other disability-related services and information. Websites for Disability HUB MN, Disability Benefits 101 and Minnesota Department of Human Services have a wealth of financial resource information for people living with intellectual and developmental disabilities. The sites are supported by the State of Minnesota and should be referred to often to get the latest and greatest information on:

Energy Assistance Program (EAP) is federally funded by the U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services and helps pay home heating costs and furnace repairs for income-qualified households.

General Assistance (GA) Program is a state-funded program that is administered by each county; GA provides cash grants monthly to adults without children to pay for basic needs.

Group Residential Housing Assistance (GRH) pays for room and board for Minnesota seniors and adults with disabilities who have low incomes. The program aims to reduce and prevent people from living in institutions or becoming homeless.

Housing Choice Vouchers, administered by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, is the federal government’s major program for assisting families that have low incomes, individuals who are elderly, and people with disabilities to afford decent, safe, and sanitary housing in the private market.

Minnesota Health Care Programs are publicly funded health insurance programs that pay for all or part of health care costs. Coverage may be applicable for individuals that do not have insurance, need help paying for premiums, etc. from other insurance, have a disability or chronic condition.

Medical Assistance (MA) is a public-funded healthcare program that pays for medical care for eligible individuals with disabilities. It is Minnesota’s name for Medicaid. It is a federal program that is jointly funded by federal and state government and is administered by the county. MA services can include:

Personal Care Assistance (PCA) provides day-to-day assistance and support to individuals with disabilities to help them be more independent in their homes and in the community. The personal care assistance program is funded by a combination of federal and state funds. PCA options include PCA Choice Option (provides greater control and choice to hire, train and manage PCAs through the use of a PCA Choice agency) and Shared Service Option (shared services for two or three individuals in a child care setting, in a home setting or outside the home at the same setting). Tax Equity Fairness and Responsibility Act of 1982 (TEFRA) – MA benefits for certain children with disabilities without considering their parents’ income in determining eligibility. TEFRA provides coverage after private health insurance has paid part of a claim or has denied coverage.

Home Care Services provides medical and health-related services and assistance with day-to-day activities in the home and can be used for short-term transitional care or for long-term continuing care.

Community Alternative Care Waiver (CAC) is for children and adults who are chronically ill or medically fragile and would require the level of care provided in a hospital. Services are provided in a home setting.

Community Alternatives for Disabled Individuals Waiver (CADI) is for children and adults with physical disabilities or serious mental health needs that require the level of care provided in a Nursing Facility (NF).  CADI Waivers are funded as an alternative to institutional care.

Developmental Disabilities Waiver (DD) is for persons with developmental disabilities or related conditions that require the level of care provided in an Intermediate Care Facility for Persons with Developmental Disabilities (ICF/DD). There are no age limits.

Traumatic Brain Injury Waiver (TBI) is for persons with an acquired or traumatic brain injury or related neurologic condition that is not congenital and has resulted in significant cognitive and significant behavioral impairment.  Services are provided in a home environment, board and lodging facility, or assisted living facility.

Mental Health Coverage is available for children with mental health issues who do not qualify for TEFRA may be eligible for other county programs under the Children’s Mental Health Act, including: case management, crisis placement, respite care, day treatment and other services.

Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits to people with disabilities and seniors who have low income and low resources. It is a federal needs-based program. It is for children and adults who have not been able to work or have not worked enough to pay into the Social Security System.

Medical Assistance for Employed Persons with Disabilities (MA-EPD) allows people with disabilities who work pay a monthly premium to get MA coverage, no matter how much they make.

Minnesota Supplemental Aid (MSA) is a state-funded program, administered by the county that provides a monthly cash payment to people with disabilities who receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or would qualify except for excess income.

MSA Housing Assistance is a program that helps people with disabilities under age 65 have a choice about where they live.

Social Security Disability Income (SSDI) is a federal insurance program funded by payroll taxes. It is for individuals who have been in the workforce, have paid into the Social Security system, and have become disabled and are unable to work. In certain situations it is also available to individuals who have never worked.

Special Needs Trust is a 1st party trust established for the sole benefit of a person with a disability, called the beneficiary. The trust allows him/her to benefit from additional income and assets to cover reasonable living expenses above what public funding provides without jeopardizing eligibility for government programs. The trust is created using only the assets of the beneficiary.

Supplemental Needs Trust is a 3rd party trust established for the sole benefit of a person with a disability. The trust allows him/her to benefit from funds to cover reasonable living expenses above what public funding provides without jeopardizing eligibility for government programs. The trust is not owned by the person with a disability; it is funded by someone other than the beneficiary, their spouse or anyone who is required to pay an amount to or for the trust beneficiary under the terms of a settlement.

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) is a county run program funded by the U.S. Dept. of Agriculture (USDA); it offers nutrition assistance and income limits may be higher for households with a member who has a disability.

Telephone Equipment Distribution (TED) Program  provides telephone equipment via the Minnesota Department of Human Services (DHS) to people who are deaf, hard of hearing, deafblind, speech impaired or have a physical disability and need adaptive equipment in order to use the phone.

Third Party Billing is billing for health services included in a child’s Individualized Education Program (IEP) or Individualized Family Service Plan (IFSP)

Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP) is federally funded through the U.S. Dept. of Energy and enables income-qualified households to permanently reduce energy bills by helping to make homes more energy efficient. Priority may be given if a household member has a disability.

Back To Top