Post-Secondary Education

Employment, Training & Post-Secondary Education

A huge part of life fulfillment for all people is giving back to the community through meaningful work. The road may be long in finding the right training, education and job placement, but the reward is endless.

PACER Center has lots of information on post-secondary planning, assessing accommodations after high school, answering ADA questions, helping a young adult learn, etc.

Institute of Community Integration, a division of the University of Minnesota, improves policies and practices to ensure people living with disabilities can participate in their communities. The site addresses topics related to post-secondary education.

Metropolitan Center for Independent Living (MCIL) a Twin Cities Metro-based, non-profit dedicated to the full promotion of supporting individuals with disabilities in their personal efforts to pursue self-directed lives.

Minnesota Department of Employment and Economic Health and the Minnesota Department of Human Services has details of the job training and employment options such as Vocational Rehabilitation Services (VRS) Program, Day Training and Habilitation (DT&G), Supported Employment Services (SES) and Extended Employment Services.

Minnesota Life College is a not-for-profit, vocational and life skills training program for young adults with learning differences and autism spectrum disorders.

PASS (Plan to Achieve Self- Support) an SSI provision to help individuals with disabilities return to work; it allows  individuals with disabilities set aside money and/or things he or she owns to pay for items or services needed to achieve a specific work goal.

Project SEARCH High School Transition Program is a unique, business-led, one-year, school-to-work program that takes place entirely at the workplace.  Be sure to search on Minnesota programs.

Ticket to Work and Self-Sufficiency Program is an employment program for people with disabilities who are interested in going to work.

TRIO Student Support Services (SSS) serves qualifying students already attending a college or university.  Participants, who include college students with disabilities, receive tutoring, counseling and remedial instruction.  Check the website for programs available in Minnesota.

Back To Top



There are a variety of housing options for individuals with developmental disabilities that accommodate different levels of functioning and levels of support. Costs of housing, funding sources and availability are all factors that must be considered when choosing housing. A child’s county case manager is one of the best resources for detailed information on eligibility requirements and funding streams as well as sites like Housing Benefits 101, Metropolitan Center for Independent Living (MCIL), and Disability HUB MN. Common types of housing are as follows:

  • Adult Foster Care – residential housing that accommodate a limited amount of people and provide meals, sleeping accommodations and supervision.
  • Board and Lodge – offers sleeping accommodations and meals for a limited amount of people for a period of one week or more.
  • Boarding Care – offers personal or custodial care for individuals that need minimal nursing care.
  • Co-Housing – individuals rent or purchase units or homes clustered around a common courtyard area.
  • Community Land Trust (CLT) – acquires and holds an area of land permanently in a long-term agreement; homes can be purchased less expensively, as buying only for the house and not the land.
  • Rental or Ownership – purchase own home or rent a home with the possibility with another individual
  • Intermediate Care Facility for Persons with Developmental Disabilities (ICF/DD) – a licensed residential facility that serves individuals with developmental disabilities or related conditions that require 24-hour care, including meals and supervision, and can serve a range of people.
  • Respite Care – for families that care for a child at home, but need temporary breaks from caregiving.
  • Semi-Independent Living Services (SILS) – for individuals at least 18 years old who can function with only minimal supports and need less than 24-hour supervision.
  • Supervised Living Services (SLS) – a type of residential housing that can accommodate a limited amount of people that require a 24-hour plan of care and daily supervision to assist with behavior, medical and developmental issues.

Finding Housing

There are several resources to help with the process of finding housing in Minnesota.

Housing Access Services – The Arc of Minnesota helps adult Minnesotans of all ages who have been assessed as eligible for Minnesota Medicaid home care or waiver services and who want to move to homes of their own.

Housing Project, part of The PACER Center, develops information and resources to help parents of children and young adults with disabilities understand their options for finding independent living and housing.

HousingLink is a search site for affordable housing resources and information in Minnesota.

Low Rent Apartment Search, offered through the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, allows you to search for available apartments by zip code.

MN is created by DHS and the Metro Crisis Coordination Program where licensed residential providers can post housing openings for individuals with a developmental disability or related condition.

Funding for Housing

See Finance section.

Household Items and Furnishings

Arc’s Value Village are thrift stores that provides a significant source of funding to The Arc Greater Twin Cities, an organization that helps adults and children with intellectual and developmental disabilities.  They have various locations throughout the metro area.

Bridging provides furniture and household goods to thousands of local families and individuals in need. If you are currently working with a case worker or social worker, ask for a referral to Bridging or for assistance in getting a referral.

Twin Cities Free Market is an interactive internet-based program that allows people to easily list or search for free items to either get or give away as an effort to reduce the amount of goods being thrown away.

Need Help Paying Bills offers a number of services offered by clothing closets, thrift stores and related non-profits.

Back To Top